December 30: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1853 - Gadsden Purchase: The United States buys land from Mexico to facilitate railroad building in the Southwest.
- 1981 - In the 39th game of his third NHL season, Wayne Gretzky scores five goals, giving him 50 on the year and setting a new NHL record previously held by Maurice Richard and Mike Bossy, who earlier had each scored 50 goals in 50 games.
- 1993 - Israel and Vatican City establish diplomatic relations.
- 2005 - Tropical Storm Zeta forms in the open Atlantic Ocean, tying the record for the latest tropical cyclone ever to form in the North Atlantic basin.
- 2011 - Owing to a change of time zone the day is skipped in Samoa and Tokelau.
- Famous Birthdays: William Croft (English composer), John Milne (English seismologist and geologist), Rudyard Kipling (English author and poet, Nobel Prize laureate), Helge Ingstad (Norwegian explorer), John N. Bahcall (American physicist, co-developed the Hubble Space Telescope)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.