December 16: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1431 - Henry VI of England is crowned King of France at Notre Dame in Paris, France.
- 1497 - Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope, the point where Bartolomeu Dias had previously turned back to Portugal.
- 1707 - Last recorded eruption of Mount Fuji in Japan.
- 1773 - American Revolution: Boston Tea Party - Members of the Sons of Liberty disguised as Mohawks dump crates of tea into Boston harbor as a protest against the Tea Act.
- 1903 - Taj Mahal Palace & Tower first opened its doors to the guests.
- Famous Birthdays: Catherine of Aragon, Jane Austen (English author), V. S. Pritchett (English author and critic), Margaret Mead (American anthropologist), Adam Riess (American astrophysicist, Nobel Prize Laureate)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.