August 3: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1492, Christopher Columbus set sail from Palos, Spain with the Santa Maria, the Pinta, and the Niña, on a journey to find a western sea route to China, India, and the fabled gold and spice islands of Asia.
- In 1921, the first aerial cropdusting was performed in Troy, Ohio to kill caterpillars.
- In 1949, the National Basketball Association, NBA, was formed.
- In 1958, the North Pole was first crossed by the atomic submarine, USS Nautilus.
- In 1980, Radio Shack issued a press release announcing the TR-80 computer.
- Famous Birthdays: Ernie Pyle (WWII news correspondent), John Landis (director), Tom Brady (football player), Evangeline Lilly (actor)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.