History: What Happened Today?
- In 1587, Virginia Dare became the first child of English parents to be born on American soil, on what is now Roanoke Island, NC.
- In 1872, the first mail-order catalog was issued by A. Montgomery Ward.
- In 1920, the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which guarantees women the right to vote, was ratified when Tennessee became the 36th state to approve it.
- In 1966, a record 6,654 people tap dance at Macy's Tap-o-mania in NYC.
- In 1997, Virginia Military Institute admitted a female student for the first time in its 158 year history.
- Famous Birthdays: Roberto Clemente (baseball player), Rosalynn Carter (former First Lady), Robert Redford (actor), Francis Joseph (last German emperor of Austria and King of Hungary)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.