August 12: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1812, Dr. Joseph Lister is the first surgeon to use disinfectant during surgery.
- In 1898, Hawaii is formally annexed to the United States.
- In 1939, The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland had its world premiere in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
- In 1981, IBM launches the personal computer (PC) and operating system PC-DOS Version 1.0.
- In 1990, a skeleton of a 65 million year old Tyrannosaurus rex was found in South Dakota by fossil hunter Susan Hendrickson.
- Famous Birthdays: Cecil B. DeMille (American director), Vincent Bendix (American inventor), Mary Roberts Rinehart (novelist), Katherine Lee Bates (author, educator, wrote "America the Beautiful")
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.