April 1: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1789 - In New York City, the United States House of Representatives holds its first quorum and elects Frederick Muhlenberg of Pennsylvania as its first House Speaker.
- 1954 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower authorizes the creation of the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado.
- 1960 - The TIROS-1 satellite transmits the first television picture from space.
- 1973 - Project Tiger, a tiger conservation project, is launched in the Corbett National Park, India.
- 1976 - Apple Inc. is formed by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne
- Famous Birthdays: William Harvey (English physician), Bill Traylor (American painter), Richard Adolf Zsigmondy (Austrian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate), Sergei Rachmaninoff (Russian pianist, composer, and conductor), Joseph Murray (American surgeon, Nobel Prize laureate)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.