- Geographical Region: Northeast
- Size: 46058 sq.mi., 33rd rank overall.
- Admitted to Statehood: December 12, 1787
- Population: 12,604,767;6th rank overall.
- Capital: Harrisburg
- Other Major City: Philadelphia
- Abbreviation: PA
- Nickname: Keystone State
- State Flag: Click Here (opens window to 50states.com)
- State Bird: Ruffed Grouse (opens window to 50states.com)
- State Flower: Mountain Laurel (opens window to 50states.com)
- The Piedmont Plateau which is an area of low hills, ridges and valleys with rich farmlands is located in the southeastern part of the state.
- The Atlantic Coastal Plain crosses the extreme southeastern corner of the state consisting of low, level area that gradually slopes down to meet the Delaware River.
- The Appalachian Ridge and Valley Region crosses from the south-central border with Maryland to the eastern border with New Jersey. This area is part of the Appalachian Mountain range and is characterized by a sequence of ridges and fertile valleys. The Blue Ridge extends northward from the south-central border of Pennsylvania. This narrow region includes Gettysburg National Park and South Mountains.
- The Appalachian Plateau covers most of the northern and western portion of the state. It is the largest geographic region containing the highest point, Mount Davis at 3,213 feet above sea level and the Allegheny mountain range.
- The extreme northwestern corner of the state was once covered by the waters of Lake Erie and is called the Erie Plain.
Map: Relief Map of PA
Food processing, rubber, chemical products, machinery, glass products, electric equipment, tourism.
Corn, wheat, dairy products, poultry, cattle, nursery stock, mushrooms, hogs, hay, fruit, potatoes.
- Philadelphia was home to the first computer in 1946.
- In Hazleton, a law prevents a person from sipping a carbonated drink while lecturing students.
- Philadelphia is home to Betsy Ross who created the first American Flag.
- The Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia in 1776.
- Philadelphia is home to the Liberty Bell.
- Pennsylvania is the only original colony not bordered by the Atlantic Ocean.
- Philadelphia was once the capital of the United States.
More Fun Facts: http://www.50states.com/facts/penn.htm