Winter 2010 Featured Picks
Our Picks for Winter 2010 include a variety of topical areas of interest to teachers, parents and students. To suggest a topic for Spring 2010, be sure to email us at the address below. We are dedicated to finding you the best of the web to fit your individual needs.
- Black History Month -Discover a variety of resources, activities and lessons for every all grade levels. These resources are perfect for use in the classroom or in the home.
- All About Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Celebrated this year on January 17, 2010, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a time for all of us to reflect on his life, its meaning and his teachings. We have quizzes, craft activities, "I Have a Dream" speech, and lesson plans.
- Chinese New Year - 2010 is The Year of the Tiger. Learn the history of this holiday and how to celebrate with customs, food, and decorations.
- SpellingCity.com allows students to take practice or actual spelling tests online. After taking the test, students can print out a report, retake the entire test, or get tested only on spelling words that they got wrong the first time. Teachers and students can use one of their preloaded lists, or create their own.
Spelling City's resource sections include ready-to-use lists for with:
- Our Changing Weather - From Hurricanes to Rainbows, you'll find it here. Lessons on everything from reading weather maps to learning how to spot oncoming storms. Many sites to choose from for all grade levels.
- Testing Resources, by Grade Level - Now is the time when we are all preparing our students for testing. Many teachers over the years have requested that we organize our Assessment Assistance section by Grade Level. Be sure to check out our Released Tests to Print, which is organized by Grade and our Skillbuilders and Standards Practice Areas, which are also organized by grade level for additional practice.
- Early Childhood and Pre-Kindergarten Resources - We've developed a robust section of PreK and Early Childhood resources for teachers and parents that include links to sites that teach mouse and keyboard skills, alphabet & pre-reading, sight words, math activities, art and crafts, teacher resources, lesson plans, and printables.
- Grades 7-12 Resource Starter Page - While many use our site for elementary resources, we also have a wealth of information for Secondary/High School teachers and students. From ACT/SAT preparation help, Released High School Subject Area Assessment Tests to Lesson Plans and classroom resources for all subject areas, this section is a great starting point or bookmark for the upper grade levels as a quick reference for resources.