Incorporate some variety of syntactic structures for effect when appropriate (e.g., modifying phrases, parenthetical expressions). 0601.3.13
Links verified on 6/1/2014
- Combining Sentences for Variety and Clarity - LEO offers a large number of sample revisions
- Commas with transitional phrases, parenthetical or contrasting expressions - online exercise; Insert commas where necessary in the following sentences.
- Parenthetical Expression - ten question quiz - Decide which choice contains the sentence with the correctly placed commas by clicking on the red button next to that choice
- Sentence Variety - explanation with examples.
- Sentence Variety - This resource presents methods for adding sentence variety and complexity to writing that may sound repetitive or boring. Sections are divided into general tips for varying structure, a discussion of sentence types, and specific parts of speech which can aid in sentence variety.
- Sentence Variety - large number of tips about sentence variety plus links to related quizzes
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print