Demonstrate syntactic variety. 0501.3.15
Links verified on 9/3/2014
- 10 Varieties of Syntax to Improve Your Writing - [the ad for an online course at the top is not part of the stated content of this page] this page takes two simple sentences and progressively shows ways to combine the two
- Combining Sentences - interactive quiz
- Combining Sentences - level 2 interactive quiz
- Combining Sentences with Appositives - Combine the sentences in each numbered item by changing the information in the second sentence to an appositive or an appositive phrase and adding it to the first sentence.
- Compound Sentences - ways to make your writing more interesting
- Make a Compound Sentence Game - [Skillwise game] Can you make the compound sentence? [Click on the image of the game to begin.]
- Make a Sentence Game - [Skillwise game] Can you make the sentence? [Click on the image of the game to begin.]
- Making Sentences - [Skillwise worksheet] Students move words to make a sentence. This is an actual cut and paste activity, using actual scissors
- Putting Sentences Together - [Skillwise worksheet]
- Sentence Combining - what, why, and how from Reading Rockets
- Sentence Variety - explanation with examples.
- Sentence Variety - This resource presents methods for adding sentence variety and complexity to writing that may sound repetitive or boring. Sections are divided into general tips for varying structure, a discussion of sentence types, and specific parts of speech which can aid in sentence variety.
- Sentence Variety - large number of tips about sentence variety plus links to related quizzes
- Syntactic Variety - lesson and practice about choppy sentences [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Syntax: English Sentence Structure - This page contains some basic information about sentence structure (syntax) and sentence types
- Using Compound Sentences - [Skillwise game] Can you make a compound sentence? [Click on the image of the game to begin.]
- Writing Compound Sentences - [Skillwise factsheet] how to write compound sentences
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print