Select details that support a topic sentence. SPI 0501.3.7
Links verified on 9/4/2014
- Finding the Topic Sentence and Supporting Details - a quiz posted at Quia
- Get The Idea - read text to determine the main idea or essential message and identify relevant supporting details and facts
- Graphic Organizer Template - print this for class use in practicing supporting details
- Main Idea and Supporting Details - Quia quiz [a name is required, but you don't have to enter your real name]
- Inferring Supporting Details - Select the supporting detail implied in each passage
- Power Writing for Paragraphs - simple explanation on writing supporting details and activity
- Practice in Supporting a Topic Sentence with Specific Details - Read the sentences carefully, and then pick out only those that support the topic sentence with precise descriptive details.
- Practice with Explaining a Process - a lab activity to practice putting the steps of a process in order [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Practice with Topic Sentences and Detail Sentences - writing lesson which includes several handouts to print for student worksheets
- Supporting Details - [designed for grade 3] lesson and practice
- Supporting Details: Practice - read the paragraphs and then click on the sentences that belong
- Supporting sentences - [designed for grade 3] lesson
- Topic Sentences and Supporting Details: Online Practice - Read each set of three supporting details. Then look at the three topic sentences that follow. Click on the topic sentence that is explained by the three supporting details.
- Topic Sentence/Supporting Details - Read the passage. Find and underline the topic sentence. Then find the supporting details and fill in the lines on the printed sheet.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print