4th Grade - Unfamiliar Words
Use a variety of previously learned strategies (e.g., roots and affixes, context, reference sources) to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words. 0401.1.18
Links verified on 9/23/2014
- Context Clues Pretest - ten-question multiple-choice quiz
- Cows: Context Clues - read each sentence, select the best answer to the question
- Flamingo - Form a flock of flamingos with suffixes -y and -ly.
- Hattie's Birthday Box - read the tips and then click Start
- Hattie's Birthday Box - Test Tutor word relationships quiz
- Jelly Fish Game - Type the root, suffix and or prefix to fill the sea with Jellyfish.
- Prefixes Say Plenty -
In this lesson you will: practice using ten prefixes, attach prefixes to root words and, use prefixes as clues to complete sentences.
- Root Words - [11 slides] Underline the root words in the slides. Circle the prefix or suffix.
- Rooting Out Words - Help Remainder the Dog gather enough mushrooms to sell at the market by uncovering the roots of words. (three categories, several difficulty levels - from FunBrain)
- Suffix Matching Game - interactive quiz
- Suffix-ly - use simple strategies to determine meaning and increase vocabulary for reading, including the use of suffixes.
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Using Prefixes - interactive lesson and quiz
- Using Suffixes - interactive lesson and quiz
- What Are Context Clues - a lesson with a quiz
- What's My Meaning - match the root with the meaning | Concentration Style Game | Flash Cards | Word Search |
- Word Clues - using context clues
- Word Parts: Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Word Works - select the prefix or suffix to add to base word.
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.