5th Grade - Solve Problems
Solve problems in more than one way and explain why one process may be more effective than another. 0506.1.5
Links verified on 9/13/2014
- Learn to Solve Word Problems - A collection of word problem solvers that solve your problems and help you understand the solutions. All problems are customizable.
- Long Division Teaching Aid: Double Division - Teaching Double Division can help in teaching long division by reinforcing the principles of division and giving students success with a less frustrating alternative.
- Math Files - Browse through a categorized collection of completely solved math problems. Odds are, you'll find one like the one you're working on.
- Math Hoops - Word problem practice for students in grades 3 to 5. All word problems use whole numbers but the problems range from single step addition to multistep equations. There are also problems that require students to interpret remainders.
- Math Mavens Mysteries - Calling all math detectives! Mysteries are popping all over town, and our chief sleuth needs your help to crack each case.
- Math Problem Solving for Upper Elementary Students with Disabilities - includes math problem-solving processes and strategies [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Math Stories - The goal of this math website is to help elementary school (Grade 1st through 6th) children boost their math problem solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Math Teaching Videos - [designed for grades 5-8] a project whose goal is to help middle school students learn how to solve challenging word problems
- Math Word Problems - Hundreds of self-checking math word problems for students in grades 1 to 6
- Mathematics Through Problem Solving - scholarly article from Math Goodies
- N-Rich - problems that can be solved by more than one method. Consider a variety of ways of approaching the tasks, and reflect on the merits of different routes to solutions
- Open Ended Math Problems - This site is for the specific purpose of preparing Middle School students for open-ended problem solving on standardized tests. Each month's problems are divided into the five strands of math standards. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Problem Solving Decks - (K-8) This is a collection of favorite problems originally created by the members of the TEAM project. All of these problems lend themselves to students telling and writing about their thinking.Each set of problems is available for downloading as a PDF file.
- Problem Solving Strategies - Many problems are multi step and require some type of systematic approach.
- Problem Solving Strategies - suggestions from Singapore Maths
- SAT Math Problem Solving Skills - Practice your math problem solving skills with their tests.
- Solve It! - Math Videos provide problem solving practice for students in grades 3 to 6. Each set contains five multistep word problems with step by step video solutions.
- Thinking Blocks - model your math problems
- Webmath! - Are you stuck on a math problem? They'd like to help you solve it. You'll find hundreds of instant-answer, self-help, math solvers, ready to provide you with instant help on your math problem.
- Who Can Do The Math? - This is an activity designed to help students become more reflective in problem solving. Students begin by reading a math problem and thinking about how they might try to solve it. They then listen to explanations given by Jake, Kelly, or Astro. Written explanations also appear on the screen.
- Word Problem Solving Strategies - strategies for solving seven types of problems [one more may be coming]
- Word Problem Worksheets - This page contains links to free math worksheets for Word Problems. Click one of the buttons below to view a worksheet and its answer key. You can also use the 'Worksheets' menu on the side of this page to find worksheets on other math topics
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.