4th Grade Reading Skills
Prior Standards Implementation
The standards listed below have been replaced by a newer set of standards.
Please go to Current 4th Grade Language Arts Standards for current resources.
Recognize the sounds of language (i.e., alliteration, rhyme, and repetition).
- All About Alliteration - ( 3rd-5th ) Responding to Literature Through a Poetry Link - a lesson plan from Read.Write.Think
- Alliteration or Simile? - a ten-question quiz
- Circus Builder - Gather up acts for a three-ring circus by finding matching vowel sounds. Select the word that has the same vowel sound as the given word. ( rhyming words )
- Examples of Alliteration - sound files from movies and political speeches
- Poetic Devices - a classroom sign about the forms of poetic devices
- Poetry Terms - Match the terms with the examples recognizing the sounds of language
- Poetry Writing Practice - worksheet on forms of language.
- Twenty Six examples of Alliteration - one per letter of the alphabet
- Welcome to Alpine Ski Lodge - For each given word, you will be given a list of three words and asked to select the one with the same vowel sound as the letter pair (in red) in the given word. ( rhyming words )
- Wizards and Pigs: Episode I Poetry Pickle - students identify rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration
- Online Literature-Based Resources for Fourth and Fifth Grade Teachers - Make A Difference With Technology
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print