1st Grade Algebra Skills
Prior Standards Implementation
The standards listed below have been replaced by a newer set of standards.
Please go to Current 1st Grade Math Standards for current resources.
Sort objects by two of the following attributes: color, size, shape, and kind.
- Virtual Goose - You must match the egg the goose is sitting to one of the other four eggs. Caution, the eggs will have been turned.
- Zoe's Pet Shelter (Sesame Street) - Zoe has to group animals with similar characteristics. This will work best as a whole class activity. Caution ! This game never ends!
Describe how objects in a group are alike and how they are different.
Identify and describe growing patterns found in literature, in the environment, in physical arrangements, and in pictures.
Translate a repeating pattern from one format to another (e.g., red-blue-blue to snap-clap-clap).
Create, describe, and extend concrete, visual, auditory, or number patterns.
Identify the unit of a two-part repeating pattern.
Show or represent number sentences, involving addition and subtraction and numbers 0-20, with concrete objects.
- Great Equations - Drag the correct numbers to complete given equations . Students select from three or four numbers to complete number sentences.
- Miro on the Move - Miro the Mouse wants to visit the houses from 1 to 10, but one of the numbers is missing. Can you find which number is missing?
- Rabbit Takeaway - [ click Continue to play the game ] subtraction number sentences, rabbits are shown, some run away, find the number left
- Walrus World - learn strategies for solving real world problems
Use mathematical terms and symbols appropriately.
Interpret and solve simple open addition sentences, including finding the missing addend.
- Sum Sense (Addition) - Students practice single digit addition by dragging numbers to complete the sentence.
Apply the commutative property of addition.
- Sum Sense (Addition) - Students practice single digit addition by dragging numbers to complete the sentence. Students see that the order of the numbers added can be reversed giving the same sum.
National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- Algebra (Grades PreK-2)
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print