1st Grade Elements of Language Skills
Prior Standards Implementation
The standards listed below have been replaced by a newer set of standards.
Please go to Current 1st Grade Language Arts Standards for current resources.
Elements of Language
Use nouns appropriately (e.g., singular and plural, possessive).
- Irregular Plurals - Match the related words, singular to plural. [ concentration style game ]
- Noun Dunk - Classify words as common nouns, proper nouns or not a noun. Score points for correct answers.
- Plural Nouns - add s or es
- | Advanced | Power Proofreading - Choose 2nd grade (the lowest grade available) then select; Ad for a Clubhouse Kit , TV Program Guide , Meet the Authors , Memo to the Staff , Nick's Mobile Parts , or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
Use verbs (action words) appropriately (e.g., tense and agreement with simple subject).
- Correct Tense - type the correct tense of the verb in the sentence
- | Advanced | Power Proofreading - Choose 2nd grade (the lowest grade available) then select; Play-by-Play Sports , Moose on the Loose , On-the-Spot News , Mystery Hour , The Daddy Awards , Bubbles Toy Shop , Letter to Ross and Rosa , or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
Use pronouns appropriately (e.g., subject and object agreement).
Use adjectives appropriately (e.g., vivid description words).
- All about adjectives - interactive show to use with whole class
Capitalize the first word of a sentence, first and last names, pronoun "I" and proper nouns.
Use correct punctuation at the end of simple declarative sentences and questions.
Identify and use contractions.
Spell words correctly as appropriate to grade level.
- Alien Scavenger Hunt: Letter Bugs - Use the mouse to click on letters that make up the word you hear.
- Alien Scavenger Hunt: Space Trash - Use the mouse to click on letters that make up the word you hear.
- Fearless Frieda - U se the keyboard to spell the words Frieda says. Three letter words on level one, four letter words on level 2.
- Fearless Frieda the Big Kahuna - U se the keyboard to spell the words Frieda says. Frieda starts with four letter words in this game.
- Look, Cover & Spell - This spelling site has 30 pre-built lists of words, but you can create your own list. Double-click any word on the list and type a word appropriate for your grade level. Your student gets to see the word, then it is covered and they must type the correct spelling.
- Spell Check - TCAP format, select word that is spelled incorrectly.
- Spell words - drag letters to create word.
- Spelling - put the letters in order to create the word that is said aloud.
- Spelling - Click on the misspelled word and then fix it. For different words and spelling activities, check here
- SpellBound - Child sees the word spelled correctly, then letters are mixed up and child must put them in order again.
Spell three- and four-letter short vowel words and phonetically spell sight words correctly.
- Sight Words - read and copy sight words
- Dolch List Practice - [click on a red dot] online activities to practice sight words
- Missing Letters - Find the matching sight word and type the missing letters.
- High Frequency Words - 6 activities using sight words. Drag correct word in blank to complete the sentences.
- Sight Words - Match the word with the picture. Many, many selections
- Sight Words - Dolch Words, if you don't know the word, move your mouse over it and it will tell you what it is. Practice the words, then take the quiz.
- Star Words - This activity provides practice at sight recognition and spelling of the 200 or so high frequency words
Alphabetize words to the first letter.
- Alphabetize - (FunBrain) connect dots in alphabetical order to complete a drawing [all letters present]
- Alphabetize - (FunBrain) connect dots in alphabetical order to complete a drawing [some letters missing]
- Alphabet Game - Round One-Student drags lower case letters to uppercase letters to match. Round Two- reverse process. Round Three- Drag letters to correct alphabetical order.
- The Book Game - Organize the out of order books. Click on the picture of the books to play. Click each book to put it in alphabetical order.
- Haunted Alphabet - Find the hidden alphabet in a spooky setting.
- Missing Letter - Type the letter that is missing
- Memory Match - Match capital to small letters in the concentration game style to reveal a surprise picture. As matches are made they are reinforced on a chalkboard, writing down the matches so the student can go back and read the matches later. [ concentration style game ]
- Paw Park: Alphabet Bears - bears wearing words on their shirts must be put into alphabetical order
- Word Order - Drag the words in alphabetical order.
Begin to develop dictionary skills through the use of a picture dictionary.
Identify complete sentences.
Identify and correct incomplete sentences.
Combine two simple sentences into a compound sentence using the word "and."
Identify statements and questions by noting ending punctuation when writing and intonation when speaking.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print