8th Grade Measurement Skills
Prior Standards Implementation
The standards listed below have been replaced by a newer set of standards.
Please go to Current 8th Grade Math Standards for current resources.
Select units of appropriate size and type to measure angles, perimeter, area, surface area, and volume.
- A Dictionary of Units - This provides a summary of most of the units of measurement to be found in use around the world today (and a few of historical interest), together with the appropriate conversion factors needed to change them into a 'standard' unit of the SI.
- Interactive Units Converter - Here you will find interactive calculators for many measurement systems both commonly used like metric and U.S. Avoirdupois and quite exotic like Ancient Greek and Roman.
- Measure converter - Full Conversion Table (sorted by Measure Unit Name)
- Measure4measure - a collection of interactive sites on the web that estimate, calculate, evaluate, translate etc. In other words, they do the work for you.
- Unit of Measure - an encyclopedia article from Encarta
Convert from one unit to another within the same system.
- Practice converting from one metric unit to another with this java applet (length, area, volume, mass, or time units )
Estimate length, perimeter, circumference, area, and volume using a variety of strategies.
- Areas and Squares - online quiz
- Area of an Irregular Rectangle - calculate the area of each figure given
- Curious and Useful Math - Here you will find tricks and rules for quickly calculating certain types of math problems.
- K-12 Math Problems, Puzzles, Tips & Tricks from the Math Forum
- Lesson on Perimeter of Polygons &
- Perimeter of a Square - Calculate the perimeter of a square with given dimensions - instruction and review, practice, and a quiz &
- Perimeter of a Rectangle - Calculate the perimeter of a square with given dimensions - instruction and review, practice, and a quiz &
Apply formulas to find the area of triangles, parallelograms, and trapezoids.
- How Do You Find the Area of a Triangle? - from the Interactive Geometry Dictionary: Areas in Geometry, Area of a Triangle
Solve real-world problems involving rate/time/distance (i.e., d = rt).
- Rate and Average Rate of Speed - explanation and examples
- Ratios and Proportions - Distance, rate and time - (This is a 3 step lesson followed by a workout.)
- Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software - a software simulation of two runners along a track - Students can control the speeds and starting points of the runners, watch the race, and examine a graph of the time-versus-distance relationship.
Apply formulas to find the circumference and area of circles.
- Animated Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem
- Calculating Areas - online quiz
- Challenge Exercises: Circumference & Area of a Circle
- Circle, Sphere & Cylinder Calculator
- Lesson on Circumference of a Circle
- Measuring Around - find circumference, online quiz
- The Pythagorean Theorem, Distance Formula and Intro to Trigonometry - other practice activities
Estimate or find the area of irregular and complex shapes.
- Using Spreadsheets to Find Area and Perimeter - The cells of a spreadsheet are a useful way to represent area and perimeter .
Solve problems involving scale factors using ratios and proportion.
Solve real-world problems using the Pythagorean theorem (no radicals).
- Demonstrate the Pythagorean Theorem - from NOVA
- Interactive Proof of Pythagoras' theorem - This Java applet was written by Jim Morey. It won grand prize in Sun Microsystem's Java programming contest in the Summer of 1995.
- Nineteen Pythagorean Theorem applets
- Proof of the theorem is demonstrated through a Quicktime animation.
- Pythagorean theorem - Use this java applet to explore the Pythagorean theorem
- Pythagorean Theorem - a java applet that allows students to investigate this theorem.
- Pythagorean Theorem - This lesson will allow you to figure out the Pythagorean Theorem all by yourself.
- Pythagorean Theorem and its many proofs (43 to be precise)
- Pythagorean theorem and right triangle facts - given the length of three sides, determine if a right triangle is being described
- Solving a right triangle - This example illustrates how finding the height of the pyramid is equivalent to solving the right triangle. The virtual reality media can help students visualize the interrelation between the 3-dimensional pyramid and the 2-dimensional right triangle.
- Using the Pythagorean Theorem Once you know the equation a 2 + b 2 = c 2 is true, then you can use it to solve all kinds of problems. Try the Pythagorean theorem with two other examples given on this page.
National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
Measurement (Grades 6-8)
- Virginia State Standards of Learning - Select Math 8 , and then select 10, 20, or 40 questions.
- Interactive Sample Tests - released sample items from the Illinois State Board of Education
Released Tests & others
- Eighth Grade Math - Read each question and choose the best answer. Then mark the circle next to the letter for the answer you have chosen. ( from Texas )
- FCAT Sample Test Book - [ 2008 ] sample questions and test taking tips
- FCAT Sample Answer Book - [ 2008 ] sample questions and test taking tips
- TAKS 2006 Test - four subjects - math on pages 5-29
- Texas end-of-year Math test 2003
Various Review Aids
- Geometry Jeopardy - Topics covered: Polygons & Transformations, Circles, Symmetry, Lines & Angles, and Triangles & Congruency
- Illuminations - interactives for grades 6-8
- Junior High Math Interactives - includes interactive math activities, print activities, learning strategies, and videos that illustrate how math is used in everyday life.
- Math TV: Video Word Problems - [ Grades 5+ ] Math TV is a project whose goal is to help middle school students learn how to solve challenging word problems. Each of the nineteen math problems comes with step by step video solution, follow up problems, an online calculator, and sketch pad.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print