8th Grade Algebra Skills
Prior Standards Implementation
The standards listed below have been replaced by a newer set of standards.
Please go to Current 8th Grade Math Standards for current resources.
Generalize a variety of patterns with symbolic rules.
- Button Beach - use logic to determine the value of rows of buttons, three levels of challenge
- Calculating the nth Term - how to develop a formula that can be used to calculate these terms
- Create your own pattern - drag shapes to create a pattern
- Mystery Operations - In this activity the computer makes up a mystery operation, and you have to figure out what the operation is. You give the computer two numbers to calculate, and it tells you the answer.
- Number Cracker - guess what number comes next in the pattern
- Patterns in Geometry - online quiz
- Patterns - Figure out the patterns, if you can!
- Power Lines - (math reasoning) Place numbers in the circles so all lines add to the same target number. You must get all correct to get the password to go on to the next level. level 2 | level 3
- Writing Rules for Patterns - online quiz
Evaluate a first-degree algebraic expression given values for two or more variables.
- Spy Guys Interactive - Balancing Equations - Lesson 11
Represent situations and solve real-world problems using symbolic algebra.
- Algebra - Fun with Calendars
- Basic Algebra - Lesson 5 - Expressions from Sentences
- Disaster Math - Six sets of interactive word problems: Earthquake Math, Hurricane Math, Tornado Math, Wild Fire Math, Winter Storm Math, and Flood Math.
- Ms. Lindquist: The Tutor - A free, web-delivered, intelligent tutoring system for tutoring students in writing expressions for algebra word problems. This site is sponsored by NSF.
- Solving Math Word Problems - A Study Guides and Strategies web site posted by the University of St. Thomas
- Taming Word Problems - a WebQuest
- Translating Word Problems - The hardest thing about doing word problems is taking the English problem and translating it into math. A lesson from Purplemath, a great Algebra resource.
- Word Problems For Kids - This is a set of carefully selected problems (grade 5 to Grade 12) which can help you improve your problem solving skills.
Connect symbolic expressions and graphs of lines.
Generate equivalent forms for simple algebraic expressions.
- Balancing Equations worksheet
- Everything Balances Out in the End - [lesson plan from Illuminations] Students use the Balance Pans - Expressions Tool to explore algebraic expressions. They determine if algebraic expressions are equal. They balance pans to solve a system of equations and use graphing to find the solutions to a system of equations.
- Weigh the Wangdoodles - Your job is to find the weight of each Wangdoodle using the information provided by the scales. To be successful, you will have to make sure that the weight you assign to each Wangdoodle works on each scale. This activity is a fun but challenging introduction to multiple algebraic equations
Solve one- and two-step linear equations involving integers.
- Linear Equation Solver - You type in the equation. The equation solver will solve it for you with an explanation of how the problem was done.
- Linear Equation Solvers - Practice Linear Equations! Improves your test scores!
- Linear Equation Solver from Algebra.com
- Linear Equation Solver - a pop-up window allows users to specify the number of equations
- Rags to Riches Game - a fun practice for 1-step, 2-step and multi-step equations. The game is similar in nature to "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"
- Solving addition and subtraction equations - Try a workout of 10 problems. If you get at least 8 correct on your first attempt, then you're ready to move on. If not, review "In Depth" and try again.
- Solving Linear Equations
- Solving Equations with Variables on Both Sides - at Mathbiz.com
- Solving Simple Linear Equations with Integer Coefficients - practice exercises at Math Pinball
- Solving More Complicated Linear Equations with Integer Coefficients - practice exercises at Math Pinball
- Word problems that lead to simple linear equations - Online lesson
Apply given formulas to solve real-world problems.
- Stressed Out - Slope as Rate of Change
Interpret graphs which represent rates of change.
- Exploring Baby Weight Mathematically - A baby's weight changes dramatically in the first weeks of life. For example, students will look at data for Baby Kevin and Baby David.
- Magic Bullets: Chemistry vs. Cancer - In this activity students will work with data about cancer deaths. The purpose of the activity is to give students some experience in reading and interpreting graphs.
- Quantitative Environmental Learning Project - a rich source of data based projects
Formulate multi-step equations that represent relationships and real-world situations.
- Spy Guys Interactive - Balancing Equations - Lesson 11
Solve one-step linear inequalities.
Connect the appropriate graph to a linear equation.
- Algebra vs the Cockroaches - determine the slope of the line that cockroaches are crawling along to destroy them
- Equation of a Line: Slope-Intercept Form - An interactive applet that will help you visualize how changing the values for the slope, m, and the y-intercept, b, will affect the graph of the equation y = mx + b.
- Find the graph that best matches the linear equation
- Linear Equation Test - Can you work out the answers? Use the multiple choice boxes or the radio buttons to select your answer.
- Linear function - move your cursor to the green block to select step 1
- Linear function and Graph - move your cursor over the green block to see lesson 1 or lesson 2
- Linear Functions Part A : Basics: Slope and Intercept Part B : Finding the Equation of a Line
- Practice from Math.com: The coordinate plane , Slope and y-intercept , and Graphing linear equations .
- Linear Function Jeopardy in the form of a PowerPoint show
- Use Excel to Create a Scatter Plot - a step by step tutorial
National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
Algebra (Grades 6-8)
- Virginia State Standards of Learning - Select Math 8 , and then select 10, 20, or 40 questions.
- Interactive Sample Tests - released sample items from the Illinois State Board of Education
Released Tests & others
- Eighth Grade Math - Read each question and choose the best answer. Then mark the circle next to the letter for the answer you have chosen. ( from Texas )
- FCAT Sample Test Book - [ 2008 ] sample questions and test taking tips
- FCAT Sample Answer Book - [ 2008 ] sample questions and test taking tips
- TAKS 2006 Test - four subjects - math on pages 5-29
- Texas end-of-year Math test 2003
Various Review Aids
- Geometry Jeopardy - Topics covered: Polygons & Transformations, Circles, Symmetry, Lines & Angles, and Triangles & Congruency
- Illuminations - interactives for grades 6-8
- Junior High Math Interactives - includes interactive math activities, print activities, learning strategies, and videos that illustrate how math is used in everyday life.
- Math TV: Video Word Problems - [ Grades 5+ ] Math TV is a project whose goal is to help middle school students learn how to solve challenging word problems. Each of the nineteen math problems comes with step by step video solution, follow up problems, an online calculator, and sketch pad.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print