Determine the most appropriate research source for a given research topic. SPI 0801.4.3
Links verified on 9/3/2014
- The ABC's of Web Site Evaluation (presented by Kathy Schrock) - Evaluation of Web sites is an important skill to learn in this age of digital and information literacy. Students and teachers need practice in critically examining sites to determine authority, authenticity, and applicability to purpose. This site provides that practice.
- Comparing Electronic and Print Texts- About the Civil War Soldier - Is there a difference between looking for information in print and online texts?
- Critical Evaluation of Resources - In the research process you will encounter many types of resources including books, articles and web sites. But not everything you find on your topic will be suitable. How do you make sense of what is out there and evaluate its authority and appropriateness for your research?
- Critically Analyzing Information Sources - the emphasis here is on print sources
- Electronic Resources - activity requiring students to use sources to find information before taking a short quiz
- Electronic Text - requires students to use sources to find information before taking a short quiz
- Evaluating Internet Research Sources - scroll near the bottom of the page to find a Checklist for Research Source Evaluation
- Evaluation of information sources - This page contains pointers to criteria for evaluating information resources, particularly those on the Internet.
- Evaluating Information Found on the Internet - a thoughtful guide to evaluating web and other Internet resources
- Evaluating Web Pages - Techniques to Apply & Questions to Ask
- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - or, Why It's a Good Idea to Evaluate Web Sources
- How to Evaluate Web Resources - a visual guide to evaluating sources on the web
- Quality Information Check List -a resource to help young people evaluate the information they find on the Internet.
- Teaching Zack to think (from Alan November) - it is essential that students learn how to validate information.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print