Recognize usage errors (e.g., double negatives, troublesome word groups: to/too/two; their/there/they're; sit/set; lie/lay). 0401.1.2
Links verified on 9/22/2014
- Confusing Verbs - Lay / Lie - Read the sentence, and then choose the answer, and get your score instantly!
- Easily Confused Words - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of easily confused words. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Its/It's and There/Their/They're - Select one answer from the choices provided after each sentence. The word you choose should fit the blank in the sentence.
- Problem verbs review - sit/set/lie/lay/rise/raise - Practice with these games to get a clear meaning of each of these troublesome verbs.
- Power Proofreading - Choose 4th grade then select; The Judge Moody Show, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Sit or Set Quiz - Complete the sentences using the proper form of "sit" or "set." [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- There there - Click on the buttons to select the correct answer
- They're/their/there - Click on the buttons to select the correct answer (a different quiz)
- To Lie / To Lay and To Sit / To Set - Select one answer from the choices provided after each sentence. The word you choose should fit the blank in the sentence.
- To/Two/Too - Learn the difference between the homophones to, two, and too using this Quia quiz [5 questions per page]
- To/Two/Too - Quia quiz; choose the correct homonym
- To/Two/Too - (2) Learn the difference between the homophones to, two, and too. (a different Quia quiz) [1 question per page]
- Troublesome words - 14 interactive exercises
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print