Recognize varying forms of text (e.g., poems, plays, stories). 0301.8.6
Links verified on 12/24/2014
- Comparing a story to a play - lesson plan
- Letter Poem Creator: Student Interactive - Letter poems are a particularly apt medium for exploring a defining characteristic of poetry-line breaks. As students work to transform narrative-style letters (shown at left) into poetic format, they are encouraged to think carefully about where to end each line.
- My Aunt Came Back - poem to print for your students - includes illustrations
- Painlessly Bringing Poetry into Your Classroom - includes a list of seven quick starts - easily implemented ideas that teachers have used in our own classrooms
- Poetry - Word Play - site to create your own poems online
- Shape Poem - A shape poem is a poem that describes an object and is written in the shape of the object. In this online tool, elementary students can select shapes from four different themes: Nature, School, Sports, and Celebrations. Within these themes, 19 different shapes are included.
- What Makes Poetry? Exploring Line Breaks - Lesson plan
- Zoo Animal Poetry - Lesson plan introducing poetry format with animals.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print