Explore the concepts of stereotyping and bias. 0701.5.14
Links verified on 6/2/2014
- 'Bursting' Stereotypes - Balloons serve as a conduit in this lesson in which students "burst" stereotypes that unfairly label individuals or groups.
- Censorship in the Classroom - Lesson plan with handouts
- Evaluating Media for Bias - A checklist when using media in the classroom
- Holiday Stereotyping - Lesson Plan with handouts [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Native Americans - EdSITEment Lesson plan [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Promoting Diversity in the Classroom and School Library through Social Action - lesson plan - students use their findings to promote diversity by creating paired books or text sets that match stereotypical portrayals with balanced and diverse texts.
- Stereotyping and Bias: The Three Little Pigs - lesson plan - This lesson helps students recognize and understand stereotyping and bias in literature and film by looking at representations of wolves
- Understanding stereotypes - lesson plan - categorizing things or people is a natural human inclination; however, people often make assumptions about groups of people they don't even know
- Using Picture Books to Explore Identity, Stereotyping, and Discrimination - Lesson plan with handouts.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print