7th Grade - Persuasive Devices
Identify examples of persuasive devices (i.e., bandwagon, loaded terms, testimonial, name-calling, plain folks). SPI 0701.5.4
Links verified on 6/2/2014
- Analyzing Political Ads - Students will view current political ads and learn how they make use of various commercial ad appeals. Students will also develop familiarity with basic videography terms. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Affluenza: A PBS Program - Lessons such as "Be an Adbuster!" and "What are Advertisers Selling?" are based on Affluenza, a one-hour television special that explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and over consumption. The lessons can be used without the video.
- Making Inferences and Drawing Conclusions - descriptions of the various ways to aid you in reaching a conclusion
- Online Lesson Plan - GI's, Gals & Gardens - This lesson introduces students to the power of propaganda
- Strategies for Better Reading - In this lesson you will:, read between the lines by using the power of inference, predict what will happen next in a story, and identify the main ideas in what you read
- Text Types - Online game helping learn about the different text types such as persuasion, informative, descriptive, or instructive. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.