Identify examples of persuasive devices (i.e., bandwagon, loaded terms, testimonial, name-calling). SPI 0601.5.4
Links verified on 6/16/2014
- Analyzing Political Ads - Students will view current political ads and learn how they make use of various commercial ad appeals. Students will also develop familiarity with basic videography terms.
- Affluenza: A PBS Program - Lessons such as "Be an Adbuster!" and "What are Advertisers Selling?" are based on Affluenza, a one-hour television special that explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and over consumption. The lessons can be used without the video.
- Book Report Alternative: A Character's Letter to the Editor - spur that character to try to persuade the audience of other characters in the novel to take a specific action or change their position on an issue
- Common Persuasive Techniques - chart with definitions and examples
- Drawing Inferences - how to be a critical reader
- Examples of Persuasive Techniques and Terms - Quia Quiz
- How are They Selling It? - students read three advertisements and evaluate the type of persuasive writing being employed
- Looking for the Fine Print - read advertisements to practice reading critically
- Propaganda and debate techniques - examples and discussions of various techniques
- Top 20 Logical Fallacies - definitions and explanations from The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
- What are They Selling - critically evaluate six advertisements
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print