4th Grade - Build vocabulary
Build vocabulary by listening to literature, participating in discussions, and reading self-selected and assigned texts. 0401.8.4
Links verified on 10/31/2011
- Classroom Reading Key Vocabulary Building Program - a reading vocabulary improvement program
- Context is the Key - students use context clues to determine the meaning of a word
- FCAT Vocabulary Building Practice - as you click on the word lists on the right, when the words come up, be sure and click on the bottom links for activities that go with each set of words. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - ten multiple-choice questions, immediate grading
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - 2 - ten more multiple choice questions
- Homographs (multiple meaning words) - Two definitions are given for the same word. You have to guess which word is being described. (a Quia quiz)
- Literature Circles: Getting Started - collaborative and student-centered reading strategy
- Multiple Meaning Practice Sheets - interactive sheets, sheets to print and teaching materials.
- Multiple Meaning Words - Write or tell two sentences for each word below. Be sure to use the word as a noun in one sentence and as a verb in the other sentence. Click on a word to check your answers.
- Multiple Meanings - online quiz that requires thinking about word meanings
- Online Vocabulary Exercises - links to twenty-nine vocabulary building exercises; matching, multiple choice, and gap-fill activities [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Using Multiple Meanings - students decide which sentences use a word correctly
- Words with multiple meanings - students fill in the blanks from a word list
- What's My Meaning - (four Quia games) match words with meanings Matching | Concentration | Flash Cards | Word Search
- Word Jungle - choose correct meaning of given word to swing in jungle.
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.