Identify examples of sound devices (i.e., accent, alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhyme, and repetition). SPI 0601.8.8
Links verified on 06-21-2014
- Analyzing Poetry Tips - The elements of analyzing poetry listed at this site will help you identify the meaning through its parts and give a sense of interpreting a poem.
- Distinctive Devices: Discover the Secrets behind Poe's Poetry - find evidence of poetic devices in Edgar Allen Poe's, "The Raven"
- Does Slant Rhyme with Can't? - article with examples of Slant Rhyme
- Examples and Definitions of Sound Devices - Many writers use figurative language to create auditory imagery for their readers including: alliteration, onomatopoeia, assonance, and consonance.
- Figurative Language - definitions of several types of figurative language from Mr. Donn
- Figurative Language and Sound Devices Examples - Quizlet Flashcards
- Half rhyme - definition and examples
- Literary Terms Quiz - a quiz on 40 useful literary terms
- Literary Terms Quiz - 26 multiple choice questions in this Quia quiz
- Literary Terms Quiz - seven multiple-choice questions
- An Overview of Poetry - a comprehensive show on the topic of rhythm and rhyme
- Poetic Devices - a classroom sign about the forms of poetic devices [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- The Poetics of Robert Frost - Examples - Frost called his poems "talk-song" as a means of conveying his slant on the musical qualities of poetry.
- The Raven's Rhymes - mini lesson showing internal rhyme schemes examples using "The Raven"
- Poetic Devices - Examples and Definitions.
- Poetry Unit: Practicing With Sound Devices - Read the following two poems carefully. As you read, look for examples of the poetic sound devices discussed: alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia, rhyme.
- Sound Devices - article with examples and explanations [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Wizards and Pigs: Episode I Poetry Pickle - students identify rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print