Identify and analyze examples of literary elements that shape meaning within context (i.e., flashback, foreshadowing, irony, mood, symbolism, tone). SPI 0801.8.7
Links verified on 9/13/2014
- Critical Concepts - Dramatic Irony
- Critical Concepts - Verbal Irony
- Dictionary of Symbolism - students look up objects of symbolism and see how it is used in literature.
- Mr. Bailey's Literary Terms Quiz - ten multiple choice questions - keep track of your answers, the answer page gives answers but does not tell you if you were right or wrong
- Writing a Flashback and Flash-Forward Story Using Movies and Texts as Models - Students are introduced to examples of these devices through the film The Sandlot and/or illustrated books. Students are then asked to create a story that contains both flashback and flash-forward.
- Using Eudora Welty's The Ponder Heart to illustrate verbal and situational irony
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print