Explain how fossils provide information about the past SPI 0507.5.2
Links verified 11/2/2010
- Amber: Window to the Past - Click on different pieces of amber to find out what is captured inside and what clues the fossilized remains provide about ancient ecosystems.
- Evolution from PBS
- Evolution: Theory and History - including journey into the world of phylogenic systematics.
- Extinctions from PBS
- Fantastic Fossil Finds - Burgess Shale, LaBrea tar pits, Solnhofen Quarry, and Subtropical Eocene Fossil Forests of the North
- Fossil Database - from the Natural History Museum of London
- Fossil News - from Science Daily
- Geologic Time and the age of the earth.
- Geology and Geologic Time - General history of the science, links to each of the eras and the life in them.
- History of Flight - Pterosaurs, Bird Evolution, Insect Flight and Archaeopteryx
- Hooper Virtual Natural History Museum - posted by The Department of Earth Sciences, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Horse Evolution
- Human Fossil Database - browse or search the database, or use their timeline
- Invertebrates - Gastropoda and Cephalopoda
- Life Has a History - an educational module sponsored by the National Science Foundation (select level 3 for 9-12)
- Microscopic fossils - Foraminifera and Arcellaceans
- Museum of Paleontology - posted by University of California, Berkley
- Paleogeography Through Geologic Time
- Paleontological Collection Catalogs and related resources
- Paleontology Without Walls - Introduction to the UCMP Virtual Exhibits
- The Pleistocene - 1.8 million to 11,000 years ago
- Pleistocene Animals of the Midwestern U.S.
- Timelines - Travel back to different time periods in the history of the earth. Vivid, fleshed-out reproductions of the extinct creatures appear in scenes depicting their environments as they might have been millions of years ago.
- Trilobite: A guide to the order of Trilobites
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print