Describe how animal behaviors such as migration, defense, means of locomotion, and hibernation enable them to survive in an environment 0407.5.2
Links verified 10/31/2016
- Adaptations: Fit For Survival - Students explore the meaning of physical and behavioral adaptation, consider how migration fits in, and identify adaptations that help the Journey North species they track survive.
- Animal Adaptations - teacher guide. self-directed tour grades three through five
- Animal Adaptations - [95 slides] this show includes many great images, as well as some humor
- Animal Adaptations for Winter - a five-page teacher resource guide
- Annual Polar Bear Migration - how it works and how climate change could be impacting it
- Bat Hibernation and Migration - information from the U S Fish and Wildlife Service's Endangered Species Program [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Bears: Hibernation - How would you survive the long, cold winter without food? Bears do it in a very cool way - hibernation.
- Biological Traits Help Animals Survive In Winter - several traits and adaptations are described
- Chilling Out, Warming Up: How Animals Survive Temperature Extremes - how chemistry helps
- Churchill's Polar Bear Migration - Although Churchill’s polar bear migration is part of an age-old pattern, climate change has caused Hudson Bay to melt earlier each summer and to freeze later
- Defense Mechanisms - Some adaptations are defense mechanisms which can give the prey an advantage against enemies
- Eight Ways That Animals Survive The Winter - methods for keeping warm and surviving winter used by the animal world
- Hibernation, Migration and Adaptation - Animals do many different, amazing things to get through the winter. Some of them may hibernate, some adapt and others may migrate
- Hibernating Animals Printouts - large number of pages to print from Enchanted Learning
- How and Why Animals Migrate - migration is a behavioral adaptation that helps animals survive
- How Animal Migration Works - from the animal section of How Stuff Works
- How Do Animals Spend the Winter? - migration, hibernation and more from Science Made Simple
- How Hibernation Works - from the animal section of How Stuff Works
- Melting Sea Ice Keeps Hungry Polar Bears on Land - Polar bears, the iconic victims of climate change, are shifting their migration patterns because of changes in sea ice.
- Polar Bears - habitat and distribution information from Sea World
- Polar Bears Migrate North As Rising Temperatures Hasten Arctic Ice Melt - New study of DNA suggests generations of bears are moving towards areas with more persistent year-round sea ice
- Polar Bear Migration in a Changing Climate - Changes to the timing of migration have resulted in polar bears spending progressively longer periods of time on land without access to sea ice and their marine mammal prey
- Sleeping It Off - how animals use hibernation, and other cold-weather survival strategies, to stay alive
- Top Ten Coolest Hibernating Animals - These animals choose to stay asleep all winter!
- Ultimate Quick Guide to How Animals Survive Winter - from the roaming naturalist
- What Do Animals Do In Winter? - It's cold outside! How do animals survive
- Why Animals Migrate - National Geographic learning activity designed for grades 5-8
- Why Do Animals Hibernate? - Hibernation is an adaptation that helps many animals conserve energy by remaining inactive, greatly slowing their metabolism and reducing their body temperature for days, weeks or even months at a time.
- Why Do Animals Migrate - Migration is nearly universal within the animal kingdom; in fact, even sponge and jellyfish larvae make use of that defining animal trait, mobility, to adapt to imperfect habitats.
- Why Migrate? - Migration plays an important part in the lives of animals: it is a successful way of adapting to seasonal change.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print