Recognize and use grade appropriate vocabulary within context. SPI 0501.1.15
Links verified on 9/1/2014
- Classroom Reading Key Vocabulary Building Program - [144 pages] a reading vocabulary improvement program that has identified the specific reading words students need to master for each grade [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - ten multiple-choice questions, immediate grading
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - ten more multiple choice questions
- Homographs (multiple meaning words) - Two definitions are given for the same word. You have to guess which word is being described. (a Quia quiz)
- Interactive Vocabulary Builders for Test Prep - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Literature Circles: Getting Started - collaborative and student-centered reading strategy
- Multiple Meaning Words - Write or tell two sentences for each word below. Be sure to use the word as a noun in one sentence and as a verb in the other sentence. Click on a word to check your answers.
- Online Vocabulary Exercises - links to twenty-nine vocabulary building exercises; matching, multiple choice, and gap-fill activities [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Vocabulary Worksheets for Test Prep - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- What's My Meaning - (four Quia games) match words with meanings Matching | Concentration | Flash Cards | Word Search
- Word Games at Fun Brain -
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print