Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Use dictionaries, thesauruses, electronic sources, and glossaries as aids in determining the meaning of unfamiliar words. SPI 0601.1.17
Links verified on 5/22/2014
- Acronym Finder
- Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary - worksheets and activities linked to this site, also Idiom dictionary
- Connotation Mini-Lesson - lesson plan - proceed through a series of steps, gradually increasing their control over language, until they independently produce a text in which they concentrate on selecting words with powerful connotations
- Dictionary Exercises - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of the dictionary. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Easy as Pie - download a document - a set of cliches to edit using the MS Word Thesaurus - instructions included on the document
- FreeDictionary - word of the day, quote of the day, article of the day, word game of the day and more.
- Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English - simple, clear definitions, this online tool provides a wealth of sample sentences and idioms. quizzes and activities also.
- How To Use The Microsoft Word Thesaurus - specific directions on using the Word Thesaurus
- Infoplease - dictionary, encyclopedia, atlas, thesaurus and more
- Roget's II: The New Thesaurus - "features succinct word definitions and an innovative hyperlinked category index."
- Rhyming Dictionary - You can use it to help write poetry, song lyrics, greeting cards, witticisms, and more.
- Specialized On-Line Dictionaries in one of 60 areas, from Advertising to Travel.
- Synonym and Antonym Word Encounters - Level 1 words | Level 2 words | Level 3 words [These expired links are available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the pages don't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- The Thesaurus - a reference book that lists words and their synonyms - drag the words to the right thesaurus entry
- Travlang's Translating Dictionaries featuring 18 languages.
- Using a Glossary - [10 multiple-choice questions] a lab activity to recognize and use the definitions in a glossary as they relate to a text
- Using the Dictionary - [20 multiple-choice questions] a lab to use the dictionary to understand the meanings of words in context
- Webster's Online Dictionary look up a word or a phrase
- Word Central from Merriam Webster - a customizable dictionary and a daily buzz word
- Word Meaning Jigsaw Game One - match words with their meanings Game Two | Game Three | Game Four | Game Five | Game Six [These expired links are available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the pages don't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- YourDictionary.com - This site says that it is the web's most authoritative and comprehensive language portal
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.
452252567 US 1 desktop not tablet not iPad