Identify and define English words derived from Latin and Greek words that form common roots (e.g., audio, auto, malus) and recognize English words that are based on them (e.g., audible, autobiography, malice). 0601.1.15
Links verified on 5/14/2014
- Choosing the Right Ending - [Skillwise factsheet] Information to help you choose the right ending for root words
- Greek affixes - meanings
- Greek and Latin Root Activities - Download this free activity from Teachers Pay Teachers.
- Greek & Latin Roots Skills - four types of Quia activities
- Greek and Latin Root Practice Quizzes - Online game of matching roots to their meanings.
- Growing From Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to find a root word and 'growing' new words from root words.
- How Words Work - learning the common roots and prefixes; meanings of prefixes
- Latin and Greek Word Elements - article with examples of common roots
- Latin Root a Week - Learn a new Latin root each week. Word puzzle activities and games for each week.
- Latin and Greek Root Matching - Online activity, good for whole group review.
- Roots & Prefixes - Test your knowledge of the meanings of latin and greek roots and prefixes! Quiz quiz
- Roots and their Families - In this lesson you will: learn common roots that appear in many words, sort roots to complete sentences correctly, and answer questions about new words by using their roots as clues
- Root Words - [Skillwise quiz] level one quiz
- Taking Away the Prefix to Find the Root Word - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in finding the root word by removing the prefix.
- Taking Away the Suffix to Find the Root Word - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in finding the root word by removing the suffix
- Word Formation - many English words come from Latin, which uses prefixes and suffixes
- Word Parts - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists below. The 87 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.
- Word Roots Lessons - This lesson plan features the Latin roots and 8 different word puzzle activities. Each word puzzle will have directions, a clue and a vocabulary word list.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print