Determine the difference between independent and subordinate clauses. 0601.1.10
Links verified on 5/12/2014
- The Clause - explanation of four types of quizzes
- Clauses - lesson with two self checking quizzes
- Clauses: The Essential Building-Blocks - explanation of the types of clauses
- Clauses: Building Blocks for Sentences - [11 slides] introduce or review the concept with this slide show
- The Function of Clauses - [10 questions] From among the numbered kinds of clauses listed in the side frames, choose the one you think describes the clause in bold in the following sentences.
- Identifying Independent Clauses - After each sentence select the option that best describes the use of clauses in that sentence. A response indicating whether your answer is correct or not will appear in the text-area below "explanation please." If you choose the correct response, it might still be a good idea to consult the explanation to see if your explanation is the same as theirs.
- Identifying Independent Clauses II - [10 questions] Select the option that best describes the arrangement of clauses within each sentence. Sometimes the description will refer to only the underlined part of a sentence. Read all the options carefully before making your choice.
- Identifying Independent and Dependent Clauses - this OWL page defines dependent and independent clauses and explores how they are treated in standard usage
- Identifying Independent and Dependent Clauses - twenty-five question multiple-choice quiz
- Identifying Independent and Dependent Clauses - In the following exercises, clearly bracket and label the independent clauses and dependent clauses
- Independent and Subordinate Clauses - two page worksheet to print.
- Independent and Subordinate Clauses - 10 questions to answer
- Identifying Subordinate Clauses - Choose the dependent clause in the sentences.
- Kinds of Clauses - the four kinds of clauses
- Main and Subordinate Clauses - scroll to the bottom of the lesson to get to the quiz
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print