Identify commonly used foreign words and phrases (i.e., RSVP, déjà vu, faux pas, du jour, bon voyage). SPI 0701.1.22
Links verified on 5/23/2014
- 6 Foreign Expressions You Should Know - from Daily Writing Tips
- Common Foreign Words and Phrases in English - from the French [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Common foreign phrases - Select a language and find familiar phrases.
- Common Foreign Words and Phrases - How many foreign phrases do you know? Can you guess the translation?
- Common Foreign Words and Phrases - flash cards with sound
- Foreign Expressions from A to Z - from Susan Kline
- Foreign Language Words - English is most dominant language in the world today, but, throughout history, it has borrowed heavily from other languages. This is a list of words which have been borrowed from other languages but have become part of our day to day English vocabulary.
- Foreign Phrases Commonly Used in the English Language - slide show format online
- Foreign Words and Phrases - English meanings given are not necessarily literal translations - from a (ad absurdum) to z (Zeitgeist)
- Foreign Words and Phrases - Over the centuries the English language has assimilated words and phrases from a variety of other languages. In context, those listed here are often printed in italics.
- Qu'est-ce Que C'est? Foreign Phrases - Unit plan with handouts and exercises.