Explore common phrases and terms from other languages commonly used in English (e.g., RSVP, deja vu, faux pas, du jour, bon voyage). 0601.1.17
Links verified on 5/14/2014
- 50 Common Latin Phrases - Not only are many of our words in English (not to mention many other languages) derived from Latin, but many of its words words are still used in today’s daily speaking and writing.
- Common Foreign Words and Phrases in English - from the French
- Common foreign phrases - Select a language and find familiar phrases.
- Common Foreign Words and Phrases - How many foreign phrases do you know? Can you guess the translation?
- Common Phrases from other Languages used in English - Quizlet flashcards and games to practice this skill.
- Foreign Phrases - A Slideshare show with common foreign phrases.
- Foreign Words and Phrases - English meanings given are not necessarily literal translations - from a (ad absurdum) to z (Zeitgeist)
- Latin phrases and expressions - Some of this Latin terminology is very common in general speech and written communications.
- Qu'est-ce Que C'est? Foreign Phrases - Unit plan with handouts and exercises
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print