Identify the correct use of commas (i.e., compound sentences, coordinating conjunctions, introductory words, appositives, interrupters) within context. SPI 0801.1.6
Links verified on 7/14/2014
- Avoiding Comma Splices - Click on "The sentence, please!" and a sentence containing a comma splice will appear in the top text-area. Repair the sentence.
- Avoiding Comma Splices II - Click on "The sentence, please!" and a sentence containing a comma splice will appear in the top text-area. Repair the sentence.
- Avoiding Comma Splices, Fused Sentences, and Run-on's from LEO: Literacy Education Online
- Commas and Colons - quiz
- Conjunctions - Select the buttons to find the correct answer
- Conjunctions Quiz I - Select the answer buttons to see the answers.
- Conjunctions Quiz II - Combine the sentences using the conjunction given in parentheses.
- Conjunction-itis Popup - Find the correct conjunction form to combine two short sentences together into one! (a Quia quiz)
- Power Proofreading - Choose 8th grade then select; Tacky Travel, RoboChef, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Punctuation: Fill-in-the-Blanks - provide a comma, semicolon, or colon where appropriate or write a small-case "x" (without the quotation marks) where none of those marks is appropriate.
- Quiz on Comma Usage
- Quiz on Punctuation - Select the option which shows how that portion should be punctuated. Select The explanation, please! to learn the grammar rule(s) behind the correct answer
- Commas: Exercise 1 || Exercise 2 || Exercise 3 || Exercise 4 || Exercise 5 [these expired pages are from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Using Commas with Coordinating Conjunctions -Insert any necessary commas in the sentence above before clicking on "Grammar's Version." online quiz
- Using Commas with Introductory Phrases - Insert any necessary commas in the sentence before clicking on "Grammar's Version."
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print