7th Grade - Use Text Features
Use text features to locate information and make meaning from text (e.g., headings, key words, captions, tables of content, footnotes, illustrations). 0701.6.9
Links verified on 6/4/2014
- 7 Critical Reading Strategies - posted by Salisbury University in Maryland
- Classroom Strategies - tips for teachers from Reading Rockets
- Headings - lesson and exercise
- Looking for the Fine Print - students read advertisements to practice reading critically
- Read a Contract - and answer questions [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Read All About It! - use sections of a newspaper to predict where types of stories would be found
- Reading Strategies - what you can do to become a better reader
- Reading Strategy Checklist - Let students check those statements that reflect the strategies they use.
- Truth in Advertising - In this lesson you will: read and identify various types of advertisements, analyze advertisements for examples of persuasive writing, generalizing, exaggeration, and scare tactics, and write responses to ads that you’ve analyzed
- Reading Charts and Graphs -
In this lesson you will: read bar graphs, pie charts, and grid charts, review percentages in pie charts, and compare types of information shown in different kinds of charts.
- Using a Table of Contents - a sample table is given with four questions to answer
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.