Recognize that purpose determines text format. SPI 0601.6.7
Links verified on 6/20/2014
- Activities in Writing Purpose Statements - Critique purpose statements
- An Agreement - A contract between parties with a quiz about the meaning and purpose of said agreement.
- A Handbook of Rhetorical Devices - definitions and examples of more than sixty traditional rhetorical devices, all of which can still be useful today to improve the effectiveness, clarity, and enjoyment of your writing
- Comparative Exercise - find all the features unique to the text format.
- Creating an Argument Structure - a three page MS Word document on the two main parts to creating an argument structure
- Creating a Strong Written Argument - A strong argument has a recognizable structure - especially for a timed essay like the SAT's. The chart at this site presents this structure and relates it to these key terms that the SAT clearly emphasizes.
- Critical Reasoning Warm-ups - These are warm-ups for people who are somewhat familiar with critical reasoning questions. These questions are a good way to start your brain thinking before you answer the real questions.
- Letter styles - explanations of various types of letters [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Modes of Writing - definitions of various modes of writing
- Personal Business Block Style Letter With Open Punctuation Example - different examples of formatting styles
- Prewriting Tactics (6-8) - organize and group related ideas.
- Prewriting Techniques - from Friends University Writing Center [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Purpose for Writing - a lesson about the main reason that people create documents
- Purposes in Writing - explanation of various purposes from writers' point of view
- Step-by-step Guide to Brainstorming - an effective way to generate lots of ideas and then determine which idea(s) best solves the problem
- Take Notes - students evaluate what items should be included in the opening paragraph of a news story
- Writing with a sense of purpose - lesson with practice
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print