Use available text features (e.g., graphics and illustrations) to make meaning from text. SPI 0401.6.6
Links verified on 10/28/2011
- Captions Help Tell the Story - look at three pictures and try to determine which caption fits best
- Health Problems - Use the pictures above to answer the questions below.
- Pictures in a text - Lesson plan - Applying Question–Answer Relationships to Pictures
- Take a Book Walk - Discuss the pictures while predicting story - Lesson ideas [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Thinking Maps - several different examples of ways to organize information.
- Using the Parts of a Book - a worksheet from Teach-nology
- Using an Index for Information - a worksheet from Teach-nology
- Using a Table of Contents - a worksheet from Teach-nology
- Using Graph and Charts
- Searching Informational Text - Use this lesson plan to guide students to an understanding of the conventions of informational texts and develop comprehension strategies to assist learning.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print