From a given list, identify information that is (or is not) available in a certain reference source (e.g., what information does one find in a thesaurus). SPI 0301.4.4
Links verified on 12/24/2014
- Dictionary Exercises - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of the dictionary. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Easy as Pie - download a document - a set of cliches to edit using the MS Word Thesaurus - instructions included on the document
- Find it on the internet - introduce pupils to the basic ways of searching for information and how to keep safe on the internet
- Looking in books - develop pupils' understanding of how different types of books contain specific information, and of the ways in which information is organized in books, including lists of contents, chapter overviews, advance organizers and indexes
- Research Begins Here - Finding the right material to support your papers is not hard when you know where to look!
- Research Roadmap - an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills from Humboldt State University Library
- The Thesaurus - a reference book that lists words and their synonyms - Drag and drop the words to the right thesaurus entry.
- Using a Glossary - [10 multiple-choice questions] a lab activity to recognize and use the definitions in a glossary as they relate to a text
- Using the Dictionary - [20 multiple-choice questions] a lab to use the dictionary to understand the meanings of words in context
- Using a Thesaurus - Help your students become familiar with what's in a thesaurus with this worksheet. Page 2 provides some suggested replacements for the underlined words
- What Information? - A unit plan: give pupils the skills to be able to decide what they are trying to find out, and how they are going to go about it.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print