Infer that the moon's phases are caused by the revolution of the moon and earth around the sun SPI 0407.6.2
Links verified 4/1/11
- Lunar Cycle Challenge - drag moons to their places in the lunar cycle on this interactive page
- Lunar Phases Simulation - two images are used (not to scale) showing the progression of the sun across the sky and the rotation of the earth combined with the moon's revolution [click on pause time to discuss the image with your class - click on the Exercises tab to get questions to use with the activity]
- Moon Phases - very nice interactive site which allows students to change three things and then drag to see the moon change
- Moon Phases Java Applet - Select "both" for the point of view and run the simulation to see the cause of moon phases. Stop the animation and use their chart to see the name of the moon phase.
- Phases of the Moon - This is one of the best animations for explaining moon phases. (from the Science Alberta Foundation)
- Simulation - This Flash simulation shows earth's rotation and the moons revolution at the same time.
- Understanding the Moon Phases - this page features a good diagram showing how the positions of our moon around Earth causes the phases
- Why Does the Moon Keep Changing its Shape? - this junior high science page has a good image to reinforce the concept of revolution causing phases
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print