Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Determine a simple probability. (0406.5.6)
Links verified on 11/24/2011
- Card Sharks - use your knowledge of probability to predict if the next card will be higher or lower
- The Cereal Box Problem - How many boxes of cereal would you expect to have to buy, to get all six prizes?
- Chances - interactive page at NCES Kid's Zone allows students to see the result of rolling a pair of dice several times
- Coco the Parrot - Probability - Answer questions about the probability of simple and independent events.
- Coin Flip - this coin flipper builds a column graph one flip at time - let your students see the progression as data is generated and collected
- Coin Flipping Page - posted by Ken White
- Coin Flipping Example - [2:14] video lesson; find the probability of getting exactly two heads when flipping three coins
- Coin Toss - toss enough coins to make a prediction about probability (maximum number of tosses 1000, but you can keep tossing to get a larger data set)
- Data Picking - students collect data, enter tally marks or numbers and then select which graph is appropriate
- Dice Probability - Help Cassie and Maria figure the probability of Cassie getting a 5 both ways.
- Experimental Probability - This activity allows the user to experiment with various random number generator models such as spinners and number cubes and tally results.
- Fish Tank - Pythagoras takes a dive in his fish tank. Can you work out the probability of him catching a red fish?
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages - [Skillwise factsheet] How to write probabilities using fractions, decimals and percentages, and how to convert from one to another.
- Guessing Game - Guess the number (from 1 to 100) that the computer has generated
- How Certain? - [Skillwise factsheet] How mathematics can give a probability or likelihood answer to events that are not certain in a mathematical way.
- Index of Probability Videos - some of these Khan Academy videos may be too advanced for Grade 4 students
- Interpreting a Data Chart - students practice by answering questions about what can be found in a grid chart
- Introduction to Probability - Interactive lesson plan with exercises as follow up to the discussion.
- Investigate Weather Forecasts - [Skillwise worksheet] The investigate weather forecasts experiment looks at how to work out the probability of the weather forecast being right.
- Let's Make A Deal - Stick or Switch your choice of doors.
- M & M Probability Game - this lesson plan includes links to .pdf worksheet and game markers
- Marbles - This activity allows the user to emulate pulling marbles out of a bag under various conditions.
- One-Minute Video on Probability - [Skillwise video] Why learn about probability?
- Ordering Chances - [Skillwise worksheet] The ordering chances task helps you to decide the probability of events happening and place them onto a probability scale.
- Pack of Cards - [Skillwise worksheet] Questions to test your ability to work out the probability of picking specific cards from a pack of playing cards.
- Practice with Data - answer questions pertaining to collecting and organizing data [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Probability - online quiz
- Probability Central - a ThinkQuest entry prepared by students for students
- Probability Fair - choose the probability that has the best chance in this interactive game from Mr. Nussbaum
- Probability Games - links to five games
- Probability Lesson Plan -Discover, explore and tabulate a table of the number of times a specific event can occur. In this activity, students consider the results of two types of events.
- Probability of Dependent Events - [2:23] video lesson
- Probability of Dependent Events 2 - [10:51] video lesson with worked out examples
- Probability of More Complex Outcomes - [6:17] video lesson; find the probability of rolling doubles on two six-sided dice
- Probability Quiz - [Skillwise quiz] Entry 3 quiz
- Probability Quiz - [Skillwise quiz] Level 1 quiz
- Probability Scale - [Skillwise worksheet] A probability scale task for you to decide where specific events should be placed on the probability scale.
- The Probability Scale - [Skillwise factsheet] How to add likely and unlikely events to a probability scale.
- Probability Worksheets - Worksheets with answer keys provided
- Putting a Number to Chance - [Skillwise worksheet] The putting a number to chance task looks at the best ways to work out the probability of a particular event, for instance the chance of not being burgled by using statistics.
- Simple Probability - [2:56] video lesson; find the probability of pulling a yellow marble from a bag
- Spinner - This activity allows the user to explore experimental and theoretical probabilities by adding and removing sections of a circle. Comments to the Instructor are included.
- Starfish Probability - interactive game - state the probability of picking up a starfish of the specified color
- Two Colors - This activity allows the user to simulate pulling red and green balls out of boxes, in order to understand the concept of conditional probability.
- What is Probability? - [Skillwise factsheet] Explains what probability means, and looks at how the probability scale works
- Working Out the Probability: Rolling a Dice - [Skillwise factsheet] How to work out the probability of getting a number at the roll of a dice.
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.
354224991 US 1 desktop not tablet not iPad