Connect ideas using a variety of transition strategies that signal addition of information and relationships between ideas (e.g., use listing words such as first, in addition, but, and however). 0601.2.14
Links verified on 5/27/2014
- A chart of the transitional devices - also called conjunctive adverbs or adverbial conjunctions
- Classroom Strategies: Transition Words - Teaching students to use transition words helps them improve their writing
- Making an Argument: Effective use of Transition Words - Lesson plan - "explore and understand the use of transition words in context and write their own persuasive essay using transition words"
- Transition Words - To improve your writing you need to make sure that your ideas, both in sentences and paragraphs, stick together or have coherence and that the gap between ideas is bridged smoothly.
- Transition Words Practice Worksheet - In each group, use a transition only once. Read each sentence carefully so that you can choose an appropriate transition.
- Transitional Devices (Connecting Words) - Brought to you by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- Transitional Devices - transitional guides are connectives (symbols,words, phrases; sometimes whole sentences and paragraphs) that make possible a smooth "passing over" from one idea to the next.
- Transitional Words and Phrases - A list which illustrates categories of relationships between ideas
- Transitional Words and Phrases - classifies transitions of logic as either milder or stronger
- Transitional Words and Phrases from English Composition 1 - in addition to words and phrases this page includes problems to avoid
- Transitional Words and Phrases from the Writer's Handbook - Transitional words and phrases can create powerful links between ideas in your paper and can help your reader understand the logic of your paper.
- Transitional Words and Phrases from the Writer's Web - be certain you understand the meaning(s) of transitional words or phrases before you use them
- Using Transition Words in Writing - worksheet with several practice activities
- Worksheet to be printed - Lesson and Activity.
- Worksheet Activity - for beginners in this concept.PDF format
- Writing Academic Essays - transition words
- Writing Transitions - Article and Examples.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print