Identify the purpose of a speech (i.e., to inform, to describe, to persuade). SPI 0601.2.1
Links verified on 5/26/2014
- Approaching the Speaking Situation - Audience, Occasion, Purpose
- Author's Purpose: Save the Wilbur - read a story online and answer questions on paper - a detailed explanation follows passage, teaching how to find the answers in passages
- Author's Purpose: A Winning Breakfast - read a story online and answer questions on paper - a detailed explanation follows passage, teaching how to find the answers in passages
- Author's Purpose Interactive Practice Sites - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Author's Purpose Worksheets and PowerPoint Shows - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Different Types of Text - Do you understand the purpose of different text types and the main differences between them?
- Finding the purpose of each paragraph - from a site on preparing for the GRE
- I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Someone a Letter - historical letters help students do some real-world writing
- Information and Activities for Modes of Writing - Links to various modes of writing.
- Information Elimination (6 - 8) model, instruct, and practice narrowing a topic for expository writing
- Multiple Paragraph Essay - Pointers on writing an essay [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Narrative Essay - Article and help on writing narrative essay.
- Step by step guide - Guide on writing an essay.
- Student Writing Tools Handbook - [25 pages] Transitions, rubrics, grammar, citations, and more [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Template for writing a narrative - Scaffolding guide for students
- Writing a Personal Narrative - Student model as an example
- Personal Narrative - writer's model
- Can you Convince me? - Lesson plan
- Graphic Organizer - scaffolding aid for your students as they plan their essay
- How are They Selling It? - students read three advertisements and evaluate the type of persuasive writing being employed
- Persuasive Writing Prompts from a home schooling site
- Scholastic's Writing Workshop - You already spend a lot of time trying to persuade your parents or teachers to allow you to watch more TV or do less homework. Now you can use those same skills to write a persuasive essay!
- Writing a Persuasive Essay - Student model as an example
- Writing to Persuade - Persuasion means making someone with a different point of view from your own change their mind to your way of thinking.
- Writing to Persuade Rubric - Perhaps your students can understand writing to persuade better by seeing this rubric.
- Strategies for Helping Readers - reading strategies with video and lessons
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print