4th Grade - Available Information
Differentiate among the kinds of information available in a variety of reference materials (i.e., dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, encyclopedia). SPI 0401.4.4
Links verified on 10/27/2011
- Critically Analyzing Information Sources - the emphasis here is on print sources
- Dictionary Exercises - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of the dictionary. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Easy as Pie - download a document - a set of cliches to edit using the MS Word Thesaurus - instructions included on the document
- Find a Word - Drag and drop each word onto the correct dictionary page. Practice using the dictionary with this interactive site.
- Find it on the internet - introduce pupils to the basic ways of searching for information and how to keep safe on the internet
- How To Use The Microsoft Word Thesaurus - specific directions on using the Word Thesaurus
- Looking in books - develop pupils' understanding of how different types of books contain specific information, and of the ways in which information is organized in books, including lists of contents, chapter overviews, advance organizers and indexes
- Practice Using an Encyclopedia as a Source - [designed for grade 2] lesson plan and a practice quiz
- Practice Using a Dictionary as a Source - [designed for grade 2] lesson plan and a practice quiz
- Research Begins Here - Finding the right material to support your papers is not hard when you know where to look!
- Research Roadmap - an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills from Humboldt State University Library
- The Thesaurus - a reference book that lists words and their synonyms - Drag and drop the words to the right thesaurus entry.
- Using a Glossary - [10 multiple-choice questions] a lab activity to recognize and use the definitions in a glossary as they relate to a text
- Using a Thesaurus - Help your students become familiar with what's in a thesaurus with this worksheet. Page 2 provides some suggested replacements for the underlined words
- Using the Dictionary - [20 multiple-choice questions] a lab to use the dictionary to understand the meanings of words in context
- Using the Internet as a Source - [designed fcor grade 2] online quiz
- What Information? - A unit plan: give pupils the skills to be able to decide what they are trying to find out, and how they are going to go about it.
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.