Understand how rates of change of nonlinear functions contrast with constant rates of change of linear functions. 0806.3.12
Links verified on 9/29/2014
- The Hot Tub - This is a fun activity where students tell the story behind a graph and relate slope to rate of change.
- Learning about Rate of Change in Linear Functions Using Interactive Graphs - lesson plan from NCTM
- Linear functions: Rate of Change of linear Functions - The site has a list of correspondence rules. When you click next to one of them, the graphic and numeric representations of the function and of its change appear in the tool. For each rule, check whether the function describes change at a constant rate; if not, characterize the rate of change.
- Rate of Change: Connecting Slope to Real Life - a lesson on using slope to find the rate of change accompanied by graphs and explanations
- Rate of Change Practice Problems - nine practice problems (including a graph to interpret) followed by an answer key
- Using the X and Y Intercept to Graph Linear Equations - This follow up to the lesson on slope and rate of change deals with linear equations written in standard form rather than slope intercept form