Resources for the Visually Impaired
Links verified 1/2/2018
- Braille Alphabet Card - print a copy of the Braille alphabet
- Braille - See your name in Braille, or any other word you wish to see.
- Braille Riddles - riddles in Braille with the Braille alphabet included
- Braille Jumbles - Unscramble these words written in Braille.
- ASL Browser - excellent resource for looking up ASL signs
- Seeing Through The Lens - A student attending Perkins School for the Blind made this film in cooperation with Kevin Bright.
Screen and Print Magnifiers
- EasyRead - software to download for Internet Explorer allowing you to view web pages at the size you want
- EZMagnifier - This is a small utility that magnifies a portion of the screen.
- Internet Navigation for Individuals with Low Vision or Blindness - an accessibility guide from Nvision
- Large Print - copy and paste any text into the box on this web page and it will enlarge the size for easy reading!
- Magnifier - tips from Microsoft
- The Magnifier - complete list of shortcut keys to use with Magnifier
- Magnify Your Computer Screen - six ways to make the screen easier to see from Microsoft Accessibility [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Mouse Cursor Magnifier Download - nineteen programs to download
- Screen Magnifiers - software downloads to magnify the screen - some free and some for a fee [Windows based] [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page. Some links may not work.]
- 550 Free Audio Books: Download Great Books for Free - download or play on your itunes software.
- Accessible Podcatcher - a simple way for blind and screen reader users to use podcasts
- Audio Books - find audio books at the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
- Classical Audio Books - many classical books in mp3 and iTunes format - one can listen online without downloading
- Kiddie Records Weekly - Children's records spanned from the mid forties through the early fifties of all-time classics. Many of these recordings were extravagant Hollywood productions on major record labels and featured big time celebrities and composers; these are records changed into audio files; can hear static of LP records but story selections are wonderful!
- Learn Out Loud - a directory that features free audio books, lectures, speeches, sermons, interviews, and many other great free audio and video resource
- LibriVox - free audio books from the public domain to download
- Lit2go - Open files with iTunes , also gives a preview of each chapter and a PDF file of each chapter.
- Robert Munsch's Books - books read by Robert Munsch
- Storynory - free Audio Stories For Kids online; no need to download
- Voices in the Dark - Audio books and stories read aloud by real people for free! must download.
- Audio Games - many free online games using sounds for to play for students without sight
- Hark the Sound: A Sound Game for Kids - Simple sound game intended for young kids who are visually impaired or blind; easy to use and Fun!
- Sign Language Alphabet Game - Fruit and Vegetable Alphabet - 3 versions of the game- a bilingual sign language only game, a listening/auditory game and a combination game where children can click on the listen button after viewing the sign language video
- Described and Captioned Media Program - You must register but it is free. The Described and Captioned Media provides services to benefit students who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind. Available to schools and families are a free-loan library of described and captioned educational media and information related to accessible media. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education.