1. Go to the page you want to
modify. The URL for that page is: http://www.internet4classrooms.com/lesson-template.htm.
2. When the page has loaded, choose
edit page from the File menu.
3. Begin making changes to the
template. This page will look very much like the template looked
on Netscape. Remember that links do not work in web page
development software (like Composer), and you can not edit when
you are viewing the page with Communicator. The pages will look so
much alike that you will forget from time to time.
Look at the toolbar. If you are in Netscape 4.7 Composer the
toolbar will look like the one below:
4. Editing text will be done the
same way that you do it in a word processor. Highlight what you
want to change and make your changes.
5. Inserting images can be done by
using the image button on Composer's toolbar.
- Select the image
- Using the Image Properties dialog box,
navigate to find the image
- Several other important things can be
done in the above window
- If text is to be beside the image,
use the Text Alignment section to specify how the text
relates to the image
- If the image is to be used as a link,
and you do not want that irritating blue border around the
image, make sure the solid border width in the "Space around
image" section has a width of 0 pixels.
- If the image is large and may take
several seconds to download, you might want to put a short
description of what the image will be using the Alt. Text
6. Adding, or editing, links can be
done by using the Link button on Composer's
- Select the text to be turned into a
link, or select the text which is already a
- Select the link
- Paste the URL into the "Link to" portion
of the Character Properties dialog box.
- You can also make a link to targets (or
anchors) that are already on the web page. Select the named
target and then apply.
- Targets (or anchors) can be added to
your web page by using the Target
- Targets must be added before opening
the "Character Properties" dialog box
6. Remember, adding, or editing,
tables can NOT be done by using the Table button on Composer's
toolbar. That button is used solely for creating NEW tables. If
you want to edit a table, like the one on the WebQuest template,
the easiest way to do that is to right-click in the table. (Mac
folks, you too can right-click! Check
out a tutorial on how to do
that. Hint: hold down the
Control key before you click, that's right-clicking for a
7. To edit the table place your
cursor in a cell that you want to edit. Right-click (control+click
for a mac) to see a pop-up dialog box like the one above. Using
the above dialog box it is possible to insert, or delete, a row or
column. If the Table Properties choice had been selected, the
dialog box below would appear:
Almost anything that you could do to a table
with web page development software, can be done with composer. The
only thing that You can not do out of this dialog box is to change
the number of rows or columns. However, that is easily done by
right-clicking the table.
8. To upload the page to your
server, select the Publish button from Composer's
9. Give your WebQuest a Title which
will be displayed in Netscape's title bar. Complete the remaining
information and select "OK."
This step is not as dependable as using some
other ftp application to handle uploading. For example, I used
Claris HomePage to handle step 9. However, everything else about
this web page was written on Composer.
10. Tell everyone about your
WebQuest. You are live.