CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.2 - Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.2 Write Informative/explanatory Texts In Which They Name... Writing - 1st Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Descriptive Prompt - Lesson plan with activities that include writing a short paragraph.
- Expository Writing - Lesson plan with handout; writing an expository sentence.
- Nonfiction Unit Plan - Student learn many things about what makes a book non-fiction.
- Story Mapping - Handout; A blank story path for children to use to plan story writing. There are spaces for 5 drawings e.g. Introduction; build-Up; problem; resolution; ending
- The Day Jimmy's Boa Taught Cause and Effect - Unit plan; Class discussions about each event and its cause are followed by tasks for the students to help illustrate understanding of the concept. Students create cause-and-effect pictures, puzzles, and flow charts as they explore the genre. As a culminating activity, students write their own book with causes and effects, which are assessed with a rubric.
- Unit Plan; Report About Frogs - This 3-4 week unit leads students in an exploration of informational text