CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2 - Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2.a - Introduce a topic clearly, previewing what is to follow; organize ideas, concepts, and information, using strategies such as definition, classification, comparison/contrast, and cause/effect; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., charts, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2.b - Develop the topic with relevant facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2.c - Use appropriate transitions to create cohesion and clarify the relationships among ideas and concepts.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2.d - Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2.e - Establish and maintain a formal style.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2.f - Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation presented.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.2 Write Informative/explanatory Texts To Examine A Topic And Convey... Writing - 7th Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- A chart of the transitional devices - Also called conjunctive adverbs or adverbial conjunctions
- Adverb Clauses: Cause and Effect Relationships - Complete the statement to create a cause and effect
- Cause and Effect - Quia Quiz
- Cause and Effect Diagrams - Lesson showing how to think through causes of a problem
- Cause and Effect Essay - How to write a cause and effect essay
- Cause and Effect Graphic Organizers - Print these to practice this skill.
- Cause and Effect Quiz - Quiz 1
- Cause and Effect Sheet - Read passage online and answer questions on paper
- Cause and Effect Transitions - Combine two sentences using connecting words to show cause and effect.
- Effective Conclusions - Article with ideas for concluding a speech
- Five Effective Strategies to Conclude a Speech - Speech conclusion tutorial including strategies and speech topics for an effective way to conclude your public speaking speech
- Making an Argument: Effective use of Transition Words - Lesson plan; "explore and understand the use of transition words in context and write their own persuasive essay using transition words"
- Modes of Writing - Definitions of various modes of writing
- Plan Your Conclusion - Four major components to a good conclusion
- Practice with Cause and Effect - Multiple Choice quiz
- Preparing & Delivering Effective Presentations: Helpful Hints - This twenty slide show includes an Audience Bill of Rights
- Purposes in Writing - Explanation of various purposes from writers' point of view
- Transitional Devices - Transitional guides are connectives (symbols, words, phrases; sometimes whole sentences and paragraphs) that make possible a smooth "passing over" from one idea to the next.
- Transitional Devices (Connecting Words) - Brought to you by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- Understanding different purposes - Communicate successfully to your audience
- Using Transitions - Interactive PowerPoint show by Ruth Luman
- Writing a How-To Explanation - Student model
- Writing a Personal Narrative - Student model
- Writing a Persuasive Essay - Student model